In 1914 it was a prosperous village with two Coal Mines, an Engineering Works, an Iron Foundry, a Spinning Mill, two Saw Yards, two Builders yards, a Woollen Mill, Rope and Band Mills, a Railway and many shops.
Cliffe Woods was part of “Common Land” during the Enclosures period. In 1815, certain fields below Cliffe Woods as well as The Acre (Cliffe Street) were common land. A gate was originally at the bottom of The Acre and a footpath gave access to the enclosed fields.
At some time there was a Coal Mine at the entrance to Cliffe Woods, from where “Coal Pit Lane” has since derived.